Supporting local communities to look after their health and providing access to holistic services is a priority for North Central London ICB, Islington Council and our partners in the voluntary and community sector.
We work closely with our colleagues at the Council and in the voluntary and community sector to develop projects and funding opportunities which support our aims.
Since March 2014, Help on Your Doorstep has been delivering the Community Wellbeing Project in the New River Green Estate.
The project has been delivered by two local estate residents, many local estate volunteers and has engaged with the community to gather insights on local needs, assets and priorities.
Insight has been gathered in a number of ways across the course of the project including:
- a review of five years’ worth of data
- responses from health and wellbeing surveys
- focus groups
- a young person’s health and wellbeing film project
- speaking with, and getting feedback from people at community events
- case studies and measuring the wellbeing impact of the project.
The community centres on the estate now have a weekly activities schedule that includes:
- a community coffee morning
- over 55 monthly film club night
- exercise classes for all ages
- community events.
The project also links in with local services including NHS services, council departments, and community police to communicate and address community issues such as access to services, community safety, the built environment and green spaces.