North London Partners logo
Home E About E Advice, compliments and complaints

Advice, compliments and complaints

Sharing your views – whether it be a compliment, complaint or comment – helps us to know what we are doing well, learn lessons from mistakes, and prevent them happening to anyone else.

If you have a complaint relating to the way an NHS service has been commissioned, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, you can contact us via email

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint in writing, by email, over the telephone or in person. Your complaint should be made as soon as possible. This should be within a year of the event. You can make a complaint on your own or on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Who should I contact with my complaint?

This depends on which NHS service you want to complain about.

A service NCL ICB commissions

If you have a complaint or feedback about the way an NHS service has been commissioned by the ICB, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, please contact North Central London ICB  at

The ICB will retain personal information for the purposes of a complaint investigation only. In order for us to make improvements to the services you receive, anonymous information about your complaint may be shared as part of our reporting process. Should you have any concerns about these arrangements please contact us.

Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacist or Optician

If you have a comment, complaint or compliment about a doctor (GP), dentist, pharmacy or optician, please contact the practice directly in the first instance. If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the practice, or you would prefer not to talk to them about the complaint, please contact NHS England by:

Email: with “For the attention of the complaints team” in the subject line
Telephone: 0300 311 22 33
Post: NHS England, PO Box 16728, Redditch, B97 9PT

You can use the British Sign Language service for those with sensory disabilities.

For help finding your nearest GP, dentist, pharmacist or optician, you can use the online search on our website or call 0300 311 22 33.

Hospitals, mental health and community services

All services providing NHS care have a way of receiving comments and complaints about their services. If you have a comment or complaint about a hospital, mental health, community or other NHS service, you need to raise this through that organisation’s comments and complaints system. If you want us to know about your comment or complaint, please send a copy of your letter or comments to us. The responsibility for investigating any issue arising from a complaint remains with the organisation that provided the service to you.

Please click on the relevant link below to see their contact details.

NHS 111 services

Our combined NHS 111 and out-of-hours service are run by London Central and West Unscheduled Care Collaborative (LCW).

For any complaint or feedback about NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care service, please share it via the contact details below:

Tel: 020 8962 7654

To find out more about your choices as a patient, visit NHS Choices.

Can I get help and support with making my complaint?

Yes. If you require independent, confidential assistance with a complaint, you can contact the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (IHCAS).

IHCAS can provide you with support and advocacy through POhWER, their contact details are:

Telephone: 020 3553 5960
Textphone: Send the word ‘pohwer’ and then your name and number to 81025
Fax: 01438 846 025

What will happen once I make my complaint?

Once we have received your complaint, an investigation will start. We will try and resolve all complaints at the earliest opportunity.

If we need a greater understanding of what you are complaining about, the investigator may contact you to discuss your complaint in more detail and agree a date in which we will respond by.

Once the investigation is complete, any necessary action identified will be taken to ensure the incident does not happen again.

Will my complaint remain confidential?

Whilst your right to confidentiality will be respected, when investigating your complaint we may need to share information regarding your case with a third party within the NHS. We will require your consent in order to do this. It may, therefore, be useful when making your complaint to include your consent. There may be times when we need to share information without your consent for example, to protect children and vulnerable adults.

How do I give my consent to let NHS agencies share information about my complaint?

You can either write this in as part of your complaint, or use sample text one below.

If you are writing to complain on behalf of someone else, you can either write this in as part of your complaint, or use sample text two below.

There may be times when we need to share information without your consent for example, to protect children and vulnerable adults.

Sample text for giving permission to share information

Below are two samples of text giving consent you may want to use.

The first provides consent for the CCG to share your complaint if we need to liaise with other NHS organisations as part of the investigation.

The second sample of text provides consent when a complaint is made on behalf of someone else. Consent must be given by the person whom the complaint is about not the person making the complaint.

  1. In order to allow you to fully investigate my complaint, I understand you may need to contact other services within the NHS and I hereby give you my consent to do so. [insert name, address/date of birth/telephone or mobile number, email address]
  2. In order to allow you to fully investigate the complaint raised on my behalf, I hereby give you my consent to do so. [insert name, address/date of birth/telephone or mobile number, relationship with complainant]
What if I am not fully satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint you should contact the service directly to see if they can look into the case further.

You also have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although the Ombudsman can waive them if it is perceived that there is good reason to do so.

The Ombudsman has the discretion to investigate a complaint immediately. However, the Ombudsman will normally only take on a complaint after you have first tried to resolve the complaint with the organisation involved and have received a response from them. The Ombudsman’s website states the Ombudsman believes that the organisation should be given a chance to respond and, where appropriate, try to put things right before they become involved.

You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or

Further information is also available at

You can write to the Ombudsman at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Ho do I leave general feedback?

It’s really valuable when you leave feedback about your experience of health care services.

This helps us, and our providers, to ensure that you are receiving a quality service and helps us to improve the care that patients receive in the future.

You can leave feedback by reviewing a service on the NHS Choices website. Simply search for the provider and click ‘Leave review’. This is an open website, so other people will be able to see your feedback. If you have a complaint, or you need to leave any personal information, you should contact the relevant Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).